The Online Gateless Writing Academy
The first of its kind, this 10-month online Academy will guide you in the completion of a powerful manuscript that is ready for the agent's hand, the bookstore shelf. The Gateless Academy is one of the most comprehensive book-writing programs in the world, the journey of a lifetime to a completed manuscript. By the end of The Academy, you will have what you need to create a successful writing career. Your work will be ready to move with power and influence into a waiting world.
You will receive:
1. A international network of unconditional support for your writing, including bestselling, award-winning authors, agents and publishers who cheerlead you on your path to success.
2. In-depth personal attention in the Showcases to draw out your unique genius on the page and your singular talent as a writer.
3. Extensive craft colloquia in 100 seminar hours, built to reveal insider industry knowledge that crosses genre and aptitude.
4. Cutting-edge teaching methodology that works with neuro-plasticity to bring you to your creative genius.
5. Insider insight from literary luminaries in the industry.
The result? Astonishingly beautiful work that wows agents, publishers and an audience of readers.
What Will Happen to My Writing Career?
Gateless is an international movement, busting the myth of the struggling writer and creating bestselling, award-winning authors.
Because of Gateless' unprecedented approach to the page, and the family of international support, Gateless Writers who have attended The Academy have seen their writing fought over by agents, they've gone to auction with first books, signed six-figure deals and won prestigious literary awards.
Cutting-edge scientific brain research shows that the old way of focusing on what isn't working interrupts the imaginative output and creates almost impossible odds for the writer. The Academy changes everything about that paradigm and gives you resources that enable you to gain incredible mastery on the page. It also gives you a hive of supportive fellow writers. Together we share work and challenges, agents' and editors' names, and encourage each other through life-changing acceptances. We identify your innate and singular genius and help you lean into it, so you are able to meet unprecedented success in the industry.
But Is The Academy for Me?
Any writer of fiction, memoir, how-to work or self-help is welcome to apply. While writers with innate talent seem to be drawn to Gateless as a rule, the Academy is structured to cater to writers at any point in the path. Gateless' avant-garde methodology was formulated to meet and transform the work of new and seasoned writers into books that sell.
Previous Academy masters have been post-grads with MFAs; previously unpublished writers just starting out with books-in-progress; mid-career writers who want to move higher in the industry; and those considering the MFA, who want a more intensive, intimate path to publication.
If you yearn for that trusted mentor, if you crave industry knowledge and want to be introduced to authorial icons further ahead, if you long for a literary family who resemble the luminaries of 1920’s Paris, The Academy is for you.
1. 100 Hours of Mastery Seminars on Process and Craft: The Gateless Masters Academy consists of over 100 hours of deep-dive seminars that were created especially for you to get you from the first bloom of an idea to a completed manuscript that sells. The difference between a writer who stays stuck in work-in-progress and the author who sails into a life of awards, six figure book deals and movie options is not about who you know, the topic of your work or even how much you write, it lies in acquiring a set of potent, little-known tools that harness the power of the written word and give you agency on the page. These modules cater to all genres whether you are writing a how-to, a memoir or a novel. You can see a full syllabus by clicking here.
2. The Online Writing Salon: Gateless writers in the Masters Academy showcase 750-1500 words for peer review on the online forum every two weeks. This is a beautiful hive of peer support and inspiration. We use the Gateless methodology to show you where your work has energy, what shines, and where to focus your writing time. This gives you the surety of where your work is singing, so you have the inspiration to keep working.
This is a time to put the foundational tools you are learning to work and try out their glimmer in the group. The Academy hand-picks their students, and because of their caliber, they will be highly skilled at feedback and will offer Gateless critique that brings your power to the page. Your salon will become your writing family. Combining this kind of Gateless critique with the foundational tools is one of the fastest ways to move your work to the point of publication.
3. The Showcase: That’s you, in the spotlight. Each week, we will spotlight one writer during our Academy call. The spotlighted writer will experience an hour long session where you read your work-in-progress, hear feedback from the group and get an in-depth one-on-one session. You will have an opportunity tell your writing story, share your vision, and receive Gateless (this means specific and supportive) feedback. Here you have the opportunity to ask questions, and inquire about doubts and ecstasies in relation to the process. You can ask everything from how to stay motivated to how to find an agent. We talk about your challenges related to themes, structure, character development, byline, publications and much more. This is a transformational chance to feel buoyed while manifesting your literary dreams. Reading aloud and having your most pertinent Q’s answered is often the creative fuel needed to dive back into the page.
4. Luminaries in the Limelight: Our incredible family of online faculty arrive to the Gateless party during our academic year-long program to mentor you on everything from psychology and the art of writing to crafting a bestseller. The faculty includes multi-genre authors who have hit bestseller lists, comedic writers who have graced some of the nation's biggest stages, boutique literary agents who can tell you how to land an agent, and authors who have scored major media attention. These folks are daring, accessible and open to answering all your questions as your learn to move your fantastic idea onto the world stage.
5. What's Next: Writers who are part of the Academy have access to queries that have garnered six-figure deals, proposal templates from award-winning writers, the truth about platforms, including who needs one, who doesn’t and how to organically grow one as an author, why the author platform is markedly different from others, and a list of the very best agents in the business for your work.
Board Advisory Scholarships Are Available for The Academy through the Gateless Advisory Board. If you are interested in a scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and write Scholarship Needed in the subject line. Thank you!
The first info session for the Academy starts on December 3, 2019.
Acceptance is on a rolling admissions basis, by application only.
To apply, please send a letter of intent to email@example.com profiling the following (if you have been in retreat with Suzanne you do not have to do the letter of intent.
*How you heard about Gateless.
*Where you are with your writing now.
*What you most need from the Writer's Academy in terms of your work.
*Your greatest goals for your work (these can be small or large, they only have to be integrated with a personal vision).
*A ten-page sample of your work in progress.
Please send it in a word document, via attachment, 12 point, double spaced, no more than 650 words. Let us know if you would like a phone session to talk about the particulars, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment: Cost for the Gateless Writing Academy is normally $6500. If you are interested in applying for a scholarship based on need, please send us an email at email@example.com Write Scholarship Needed in the subject line.
Deposits of $750 are due when the writer signs up. Payment plans are available to students at no additional cost.
Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org about creative possibilities for payment.