The Online Gateless Writing Academy
The 2022-2023 Academy will begin in the fall of 2022.
The Gateless Advisory Board offers generous scholarships including special preferences to writers of color, LGBQTA+, single mothers and writers with an affiliation to the Gateless community.
To apply: Send a one-page letter of intent and 10 pages of your writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
To see the syllabus: Visit us HERE.
A sample of your faculty are HERE.
What Will Happen to Your Writing Life As a Result?
- Gateless Academy Writers have been repped by agents at Park and Fine, Writer's House, Inkwell, William Morris, Aevitas, Defiore, Carol Mann, and more.
- Alumni have signed book deals with Harpers, Simon and Schuster, Penguin Random House, St. Martin's Press and many others.
- Gateless Writers of all genres have won and been shortlisted for prestigious international literary awards including Wigleaf, William Van Dyke, the William Faulkner Wisdom Award, The Annie Dillard Award for Creative non-fiction, the Baltimore Review's Short Fiction prize, Pushcart Prizes, The Gershwin Prize and more.
- Gateless Writers have been profiled in top media outlets, including the Boston Globe, the New York Times, Business Insider, O Magazine, the Today Show, Rolling Stone Magazine and many others.
What Is The Gateless Writers Academy?
- A 10-month online literary experience, The Gateless Academy is one of the most comprehensive online book-writing programs in the world. It is the journey of a lifetime to a completed manuscript.
- An unprecedented approach to building writing careers that busts the myth of the struggling writer and creates bestselling, award-winning authors.
- A hive of writers who share work-in-progress, on-page support, agents' and editors', and encouragement that lasts throughout your career.
- A unique resource of potent craft tools that harness your innate talent, and buoy your singular voice to give you agency on the page so that you can move toward the sale of a manuscript.
The Academy Is For You If:
- You are a writer of fiction, memoir, non-fiction and/or the narrative how-to.
- You long for that trusted mentor who can give you insider industry knowledge and introduce you to authorial icons further ahead on the path.
- You have completed an MFA and want a post-grad, book-writing program.
- You are previously unpublished and want an intensive, intimate path to understand craft and publication.
- You are a mid-career writer who wants to elevate your career and move higher up in the industry.
- You are drawn to the written word as a powerful vehicle for changing the existing domain, diving deeply into self exploration and as a bridge to divine connection.
- You want to climb inside the magic of language and make mad crazy beautiful love to the page.
Writing really can be:
doubled over laughter,
a hit of the divine,
a wild uncovering of untold stories,
a daring ride into the singular genius you hold inside.
Literary success is right at your fingertips,
let’s have a ball …
The Principal Elements of the Gateless Academy:
Accountability and Direction: For 10 months, you will be working with a small group of high-achieving writers who are finishing their manuscripts to the point of publication. You will be sharing work in a 5-person pod every two weeks and receiving Gateless feedback that belies the cult of criticism and shows you where your innate talent lies. The pod is built to facilitate risk- taking in your work and elevate creative potency. This is your literary family. See Past Academy Writers HERE.
Mentoring: Every week we meet in the Gateless Writing Showcase. Every call is recorded and sent to you in the event that you cannot make it. Here you have an opportunity tell your writing story, share your vision, and receive Gateless--specific and supportive--feedback. The Showcase draws out your innate talent, strengths and power on the page. We talk about your challenges related to theme, structure, character development, byline, publications and much more. This is a transformational experience, where you feel lifted while manifesting your literary dreams.
The New York Salon: You have the opportunity to meet for a live writing salon twice during these ten months to write with each other in person. These are evening-long excursions into creating fantastic writing inside the container of Gateless. A prompt, immediate feedback and a party on the page. Can't make it? No worries, there will be plenty of other times for you to get together Gatelessly. During COVID-19, our live salons will be on Zoom.
Creative Neuroscience: The Gateless Methodology was created from cutting-edge scientific brain research. This avante garde process can cease activity in the area of your brain associated with judgement and critique. Using elements of neuro-plasticity, you are dropped into your most powerful creative potential and gain access to inherent craft technique and your singular voice. Once you have worked with the Gateless methodology you will become a creative risk taker. You will understand where to focus so that you can achieve mastery on the page and meet unprecedented success in the industry.
Luminaries: Once a month luminaries who are entrenched in the industry will arrive at our weekly meetings once a month to massage your journey to the completed manuscript. The faculty includes multi-genre authors who have hit bestseller lists, comedic writers who have graced some of the nation's largest stages, literary agents who can tell you how to land a contract, and authors who have scored major media attention. These folks are daring, accessible and open to answering all your questions. You can ask everything from how to stay motivated to how to find an agent. See Your Luminaries HERE.
Over 100 seminar hours of extensive craft tools. The Gateless seminars are only available through the Academy portal. The seminars are 100 hours of private intensives that I give to writers when they are working toward publication. These are extremely comprehensive and contain all of the information you need to complete your manuscript and move toward a successful writing career. The information in these recorded seminars has led writers from first drafts to 6-figure offers from Penguin, Simon and Schuster, Harpers Business and St. Martins Press.Inside you will discover everything from how to move through critical voice to creating cinematic scene and building a proposal that brings you to sale. See Your Full Syllabus of Gateless Seminars HERE.
The result? Astonishingly beautiful work that wows agents, publishers and an audience of readers.
A Sampling of What Writers Are Saying:
Nothing in my life has ever come close to The Academy. My novel had been stalled for over a year. Gateless stoked a fire in me. The Academy is a safe haven for the creative genius to run free and wild without inhibition. Acquiring invaluable tools for the craft, reading other writers' work, and getting unbelievably insightful feedback has moved me forward in profound ways. I am in the homestretch with my novel, and I have everything I need to succeed as an author. My only regret? Not doing it sooner!!! -Kim Griffin, novelist, finalist for the William-Faulkner-William award, TX.
The Academy ranks as one of the most important gifts I have ever given my work. Suzanne Kingsbury was truly sent here by the gods. The Academy lasts a lifetime. The seminars hold wisdom for the ages. Gateless buoys you forever.
--Bren McClain, TN, winner of the William Faulkner - William Wisdom Writing Award and Author of the critically acclaimed, One Good Mama Bone, Nashville, TN
Before the Gateless Academy, I was getting conflicting feedback on my work, I wasn't quite sure how competent I was. The Academy gave me the tools to understand how to craft great writing. I wrote my manuscript from the inspiration I got from the seminars. The first word to the last polished draft was written in the Academy. It was solicited for publication right after that and will be published this October. I've never experienced that before. Suzanne's feedback, and everyone else's, showed me that there is a powerful force to be reckoned with inside me. And it's nothing to be afraid of. It's something wild I can ride.--Stanley Dankoski, fiction writer, NC
Size: The Gateless Academy was developed as a post-graduate program. Its mission has since grown to include new writers with exemplary talent. It is curated for the select writers who are accepted (about 25-30 a year).
Seminars: are online through our portal and will be available as soon as the program begins.
Online 5-person pods: A private Drive folder will be assigned as soon the program begins. Every two weeks you will be sharing a 1500 word excerpt from your work-in-progress and have the 14-day period to comment and receive feedback.
Writing Salons: in your living room on Zoom (during COVID), we meet once a term during our showcase/luminary meetings to write together.
Time Commitment: The Academy time commitment depends on how much work you are creating, how many times you decide to show up to calls, how engaged you are with the Pod, how often you listen to the seminars. The Academy is designed with your sovereignty in mind. You can listen to the calls and seminars at your leisure. Commenting in the pods is about an hour a week.
Acceptance is on a rolling admissions basis, by application only.
Send a letter of intent to email@example.com profiling the following:
*How you heard about Gateless.
*Where you are with your writing now.
*What you most need from the Writer's Academy in terms of your work.
*Your greatest goals for your work (these can be small or large, they only have to be integrated with a personal vision).
Plus a sample of your work-in-progress.
Please send it in a Word document or a Google Doc to firstname.lastname@example.org, via attachment, 12-point, double spaced, no more than 650 words. Let us know if you would like a phone session to talk about the particulars.
Board Advisory Scholarships are available this year for the Academy due to COVID, we give priority to single parents, frontline workers, writers of color and anyone else who has extenuated circumstances. .
If you are interested in a scholarship, please email email@example.com and write Scholarship Needed in the subject line. Thank you!
Cost for the Gateless Writing Academy without a scholarship is normally $6500. Please let us know if you need a scholarship (see above)
Deposits of $1500 are due when the writer signs up.
Payment plans are available.
Cancellation policy can be found HERE.
We are so excited to write with you...